|By Maureen O'Gara||
|October 15, 2008 07:00 PM EDT||
Well, if the economy – and not just software, mind you – is going from products to services and perforce subscriptions then vendors are going to need an appropriate billing system that chases down and captures all the monthly payments, right?
Well, that’s what a couple of lads out of the on-demand school thought too and that’s why they started Zuora Inc on Marc Benioff and Benchmark Capital’s combined nickel.
Yes, that Marc Benioff, the CEO of salesforce.com, the software-as-a-service pioneer, who got his initial stake from his old boss Larry Ellison.
He kicked in on Zuora’s $6.5 million A round in December and Zuora is growing up in Oracle’s shadow. Literally. When you look out its windows in
Zuora, lest you think the word comes from some exotic language and is fraught with meaning, is simply the combination of the last names of its founders: CEO Tien Tzuo, who in his previous life was saleforce.com’s eleventh employee reporting directly to Benioff either as the company’s chief marketing officer or chief strategy officer and was there for its rise from zero to close a billion dollars in revenues; president KV Rao, an early WebEx recruit; and CTO Cheng Zuo, who architected and implemented WebEx’ order-to-cash system, which manages the SaaS operation’s subscription lifecycle process.
According to Zuora, which only came out from underground in March and put its Z-Billing system on the market in May, conventional billing systems like SAP, Oracle,
Subscription-based billing is more complicated; the price plans alone are complex and varied. Getting the goose to lay the golden egg can be painful.
Z-Billing is supposed to be easy to use with a simple interface that can be easily customized to any B2B or B2C industry and any preferences. It also integrates with a company’s existing CRM and accounting packages.
The platform – nobody just has plain garden-variety software anymore – the platform is built as an on-demand model and can reportedly support any charge model including one-time, recurring, usage, metering and volume tier pricing.
It will scale, its creators say, into the millions of users and it will handle invoices, order changes and billing disputes. It also tracks metrics like churn, renewals, MRR (monthly recurring revenue), ACV (annual contracted value) and TCV (total contracted value) and is supposed to give the company a single source for data about customers, orders, bookings, revenues and renewal rates.
Zuora charges 2% of total billings for its billing services provided the monthly charges amount to at least 500 bucks and will drop to 1% for a large $100 million firm.
Two percent is less than the 2.7% of revenues the online services industry is supposed to be spending these days on billing. Zuora also claims that lack of flexibility in pricing and packing costs companies market share, holding up AT&T as an example.
So far Zuora has collected 12 customers, Tzuo said, including Coremetrics, the web-based analytics and precision marketing software house, with 27 different pricing models to keep straight
Salesforce.com, which has been fiddling with its own billing system, a development Tzuo is credited with, has yet to come over. “It’s a prospect,” Tzuo says.
|Phil 07/08/08 12:22:51 PM EDT|
Good article, bad title...Billing is already SaaS with a few players well into the market. I guess the author didnt bother to google the title to see if it was true.
ZDNet wrote about this months ago and profiled the existing vendors.
- [slides] #WebRTC for the #IoT | @CloudExpo @MontesLu #M2M #AI #Telecom
- [video] @ChrisMatthieu's @ThingsExpo Keynote | @Citrix #FinTech #IoT #RTC
- Sponsor #WebRTC at @CloudExpo | #IoT #AI #Java #RTC #Telecom #UCaaS
- [session] Trends in #WebRTC Development | @ThingsExpo #IoT #RTC #UCaaS
- [session] WebRTC for IoT, Edge Computing Use Cases By @NTTCom | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #RTC #WebRTC
- Announcing @TelecomReseller Named “Media Sponsor” of @CloudExpo NY | #Cloud #RTC #UCaaS #WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- Building Video Calling with @PubNub and #WebRTC | @ThingsExpo [#IoT]
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC Business Models: Building a Web-Based Telecom Co
- Matrix' #WebRTC and #IoT | @ThingsExpo @MatrixDotOrg #AI #RTC #UCaaS
- New @PubNub App Template for #WebRTC | @ThingsExpo [#IoT]
- The Largest #WebRTC Resource Launched | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #RTC
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- 2nd WebRTC Summit Registration Now Open
- WebRTC Summit Power Panel: The Future of WebRTC